Who We Are
Mortdale-Oatley Baptist Church (MOBC) is a mixed group of people who have found that Jesus Christ makes all the difference to life. We meet together to encourage one another in the Christian faith, share that faith with others, and serve the communities in which we live and work.
At MOBC the invitation is ‘come as you are’ and many people have. Today the church includes mums, dads, children, teenagers, grandparents, great-grandparents, singles, husbands, wives, divorcees, widows, and widowers. Some are Aussie born, and others are immigrants from all parts of the world.
Our church buildings are conveniently located near Mortdale and Oatley train stations, with each less than 1 kilometre away.
A Brief History
Mortdale Baptist Church dates back to 1896 when Mrs George Gaites encouraged Newtown Baptist Church to support the Mortdale Mission, a small group of Christians who held Sunday services in the ‘Hut’, a small wooden hall in Morts Road.
In 1898 Carlton Baptist Church took charge of the Mortdale Mission and in 1905 the Mortdale Baptist Church was officially formed.
In 1919 the church moved from Pitt Street, Mortdale to its present site on the corner of Boundary Road and Woronora Parade, Oatley.
In 1998 and with the celebration of our centenary the name of the church was changed to Mortdale-Oatley Baptist Church to more truly reflect the communities we serve.
In 1999 the church embarked on a major redevelopment of its buildings resulting in the spacious, well appointed facilities it now has.